Sending a MessageEditOn the website: To send a private message, access the other player's profile (by selecting their name in any chat), then click on the envelope icon near the upper right hand corner of the profile. (The two icons to the right of the envelope are to send a gift and to block messages from the player, respectively; see below for more information on blocking).
A popup will open in which the player can type in their message. To expand the message bar, drag the triangle in its bottom right-hand corner. When the player is finished typing their message, clicking on the "Send" button will send the message. If the player decides not to send the message, they can click on the "x" in the upper right-hand corner to close the message box.
On the iOS app and Android app: Messages can similarly be sent by clicking on a player's name in any chat to bring up their profile, and then tapping the icon on the top right corner. On the iOS app, the player can alternatively send a private message to someone from the Inbox page if the user knows the other player's User ID.
Blocking a UserEdit
On the website client only, players can click the Block button (to the right of the gift icon; see above) if they want to block a specific user. The blocked player will not be able to send messages to the player that has blocked them, and the player will not be able to send messages to any players they have blocked.If a user has been blocked, the 'block' icon will change to a '+'. The player then has the option to un-block the user that has been blocked by clicking the '+' button.
Opting out of all messagesEditIf the user doesn't want to receive any messages, a feature available only on the website, the player can utilize the Opt Out toggle near the top right corner of their inbox. If the player changes their mind, they can simply click the toggle to opt in again. Although the player will not receive messages while opted out, they can still send messages.
Note: When the toggle is to the right and the message reads "Disable Private Messages," the player is able to receive messages. When the toggle is to the left and the message reads "Enable Private Messages," the player is not able to receive messages.
Receiving a MessageEditWhen a player receives a new message on the website, a number will appear on the User Icon. This number indicates the number of new messages that have received since the player last checked their inbox. On the iOS app & Android app, a message count dot will appear on the envelope on the menu. Messages can be read by selecting the envelope and clicking on the message. Messages are grouped by Display Name, with the most recent message at the top. Tapping a name will bring up the message stream of that user.
The player can send a reply by typing in the message bar below and clicking "Send" or, on the Android app, the paper airplane icon.
Deleting a MessageEditTo delete a message in the web client, click on "Delete" at the bottom of the message. Note that although the player can delete outgoing messages, this will not delete the recipient's copy, or prevent the recipient from reading the message.
On the Android app, a message can be deleted by tapping on the message and then tapping on "Delete" at the bottom of the message. The iOS app currently does not support message deletion. Players on the iOS app can use the Inbox Display & Export Tool to delete individual messages (or their entire mailbox) by using their web browser.
Conversations are sorted in threads that can be brought up by typing in the search bar.
Delete All messages
|Workaround: Use the Inbox Display & Export Tool or delete individual messages.|
|not yet available at GitHub|
The red "Delete All Messages" button will delete all messages.
|Workaround: Use the Inbox Display & Export Tool.|
|not yet available at GitHub|
The "Export Messages" button will download all the player's messages in HTML format so that they can read them outside of Habitica (e.g., offline). Because the website may slow down if there are a lot of messages in the player's inbox, it may be advisable to clean the inbox of unwanted messages via deletion. The "Export Messages" feature allows the user to save a copy before doing so. Messages can also be exported in other formats through the Inbox Display & Export Tool.
Messages can be exported through the Inbox Display & Export Tool.
Private Messages are Not for SupportEdit
The private messaging system is not the most effective way to seek help or support for Habitica. Please do not send a private message to any user, including moderators and staff, to specifically ask for assistance. However, messaging a friend for help and knowing they are willing to help beforehand would be an exception.
There are several disadvantages to asking for replies by PM:
- It adds an extra step for the person providing assistance. Please respect their time.
- It prevents other players who might have the same problem from seeing the reply. One of the benefits of the Habitica Help: Ask a Question guild is that information can be easily shared with many players over several days. Questions that occur frequently may also have their answers added to this Wiki.
- It prevents all the people who can help from knowing that a user may have already been helped. Since the reply to a specific user will not be visible to others, no one will know whether a player has already been sent a reply. Many people may reply separately, which means the time and effort to resolve the inquiry are greatly increased. The time taken from the player will also have increased, since they should send thank-you messages to many people.
There are better methods for investigating problems and providing help than private messaging. If a user requires support, please use one of the following options.
- Ask questions in the Tavern.
- Ask questions in the Habitica Help: Ask a Question guild, which has less traffic than the Tavern, so questions and answers will stay visible for longer (usually several days).
- Report bugs via the website's Help -> Report a Bug menu, which will direct the player to the Report a Bug guild.
- If any player is being bullied, harassed, or has a private/sensitive matter to discuss, email the Staff (firstname.lastname@example.org). Keep in mind that the staff have many demands on their time, and so if general support is required, it would be best to use one of the other options outlined above.
If help is asked for in the Tavern or the Habitica Help: Ask a Question guild, please do not ask for replies via private message; replies will be given in the same place that the question was posted.