Players can use Hatching Potions to hatch pets by combining potions with eggs. The egg determines the type of pet that will hatch, and the potion determines its color or other physical attributes (e.g., skeleton or zombie). Any pet (except for rare pets) can be hatched with any standard potion.
All standard potions are available as drops that players receive randomly for completing Habits, Dailies, and To Do's once they have completed their second task. Players can also purchase hatching potions in the Market for gems, or sell them for gold. Some quests also offer hatching potions as rewards. The potions range in value from Base, which hatches a normal pet and sells for 2 gold points, to Golden, which hatches a cheerful golden-colored pet and sells for 5 gold points.
Magic Hatching Potions are special hatching potions that are available during Grand Galas or other recurring community events, or as prizes for logging into Habitica. Wacky Hatching Potions are a special subsection of magic hatching potions that are available during Grand Galas or Community events.
Drop Probability[edit | edit source]
When a potion drops, the type of potion is determined randomly. Different types have different drop probabilities:
- 40% chance of receiving a Base, Desert, or White potion
- 30% chance of receiving a Red, Shade, or Skeleton potion
- 23.33% chance of receiving a Cotton Candy Blue, Cotton Candy Pink, or Zombie potion
- 6.67% chance of receiving a Golden potion
Note that due to the random nature of drops, individual users may receive certain potions at higher or lower rates than those quoted above.
Using Potions[edit | edit source]
Under the Inventory tab, you will see the potions you currently own. Click on a potion to use it. Once clicked, any eggs that you can hatch with that potion will be highlighted in purple. Click on a highlighted egg to use the potion; this will bring up a prompt confirming that you would like to hatch the egg using said potion.
If an egg is not highlighted, that means that you already have a pet of that type that was hatched with the potion you have selected. (For example, if you already have a red wolf, clicking on a red hatching potion will not highlight any wolf eggs in your inventory.) Should you attempt to use the potion to hatch an unhighlighted egg anyway, you will receive an error, and will not lose the egg or potion. However, once you have upgraded a pet to a mount, you may hatch a second pet of that type to replace it, enabling you to have a pet and mount of the same species and color at once.
Players can also sell excess potions. Detailed instructions for how to do so in a browser or the mobile app are available here.
Available Standard Hatching Potions[edit | edit source]
|Hatching Potions||Gem Price||Sell Price|
|Cotton Candy Pink||4||4|
|Cotton Candy Blue||4||4|
Magic Hatching Potions[edit | edit source]
Magic Hatching Potions are special hatching potions. There are four types of Magic Hatching Potions:
- Seasonal Edition hatching potions, which can be bought from the Market for a limited time when announced, including during special events or Grand Galas
- Daily Check-In Incentives hatching potions, which were released with the Daily Check-In Incentives feature and can be earned by logging into Habitica a certain number of times
- Mysterious Time Travelers hatching potions, which can be bought with a Mystic Hourglass
- Quest hatching potions, which can be obtained by performing the relevant quest (3 potions per completion unless otherwise specified), or, once unlocked, can be purchased from the Market for 2 Gems each (unless otherwise specified)
- If a player wishes to get enough Quest hatching potions for all 9 pet eggs, they can either complete the quest three times for a total cost of 12 Gems (4 Gems x 3 scrolls), or they can complete the quest one time and then purchase the additional six potions for a total cost of 16 Gems (4 Gems x 1 scroll + 2 Gems x 6 potions). Therefore, it is less expensive to complete the quest multiple times, especially if members of a party take turns purchasing the quest.
- If a player wishes to get enough Quest hatching potions for all 9 pets, raise each pet to a mount, and then hatch all 9 pets again, they can either complete the quest six times for a total cost of 24 Gems (4 Gems x 6 scrolls), or they can complete the quest one time and then purchase the 15 additional potions for total cost of 34 Gems (4 Gems x 1 scroll + 2 Gems x 15 potions). Much like the example above, it is less expensive to complete the quest multiple times.
Magic Hatching Potions can only be used on standard "Generation 1" eggs (i.e., non-quest eggs). The resulting pets enjoy all types of food.
Please note that Seasonal hatching potions may not be released at the same time the following year.
|Magic Hatching Potions||Gem Price||Sell Price||Type||Available During/Around||Release Date|
|Spooky||2||2||Seasonal||Fall Festival||1 October 2015|
|Peppermint||2||2||Seasonal||Winter Wonderland||7 December 2015|
|Floral||2||2||Seasonal||end of/after Spring Fling||25 April 2016|
|Thunderstorm||2||2||-||Random time during the year.||9 August 2016|
|Ghost||2||2||Seasonal||Fall Festival||22 September 2016|
|Royal Purple||n/a||2||-||any time, as Daily Check-In Incentives||23 November 2016|
|Holly||2||2||Seasonal||Winter Wonderland||15 December 2016|
|Cupid||2||2||Seasonal||around Valentine's||2 February 2017|
|Shimmer||2||2||Seasonal||Spring Fling||23 March 2017|
|Fairy||2||2||Seasonal||Spring Fling||20 April 2017|
|Aquatic||2||2||Seasonal||Summer Splash||29 June 2017|
|Ember||2||2||Seasonal||after Summer Splash||8 August 2017|
|Starry Night||2||2||Seasonal||Winter Wonderland||19 December 2017|
|Rainbow||2||2||Seasonal||after Spring Fling||13 March 2018|
|Glass||2||2||Seasonal||Summer Splash||26 June 2018|
|Glow-in-the-Dark||2||2||Seasonal||Fall Festival||25 September 2018|
|Frost||2||2||-||Random time during the year.||20 November 2018|
|Icy Snow||2||2||Seasonal||Winter Wonderland||20 December 2018|
|Rose Quartz||2||2||Seasonal||around Valentine's Day||12 February 2019|
|Celestial||2||2||Seasonal||Spring Fling||21 March 2019|
|Sunshine||2||2||Seasonal||after Spring Fling||14 May 2019|
|Bronze||2||2||Quest||Brazen Beetle Battle quest||21 May 2019|
|Watery||2||2||Seasonal||Summer Splash||20 June 2019|
|Silver||2||2||Quest||The Silver Solution quest||13 August 2019|
|Shadow||2||2||Seasonal||Fall Festival||26 September 2019|
|Aurora||2||2||Seasonal||Winter Wonderland||19 December 2019|
|Amber||2||2||Quest||The Amber Alliance quest||26 November 2019|
|Ruby||2||2||Quest||Ruby Rapport quest||13 February 2020|
|Birch Bark||2||2||Seasonal||Spring Fling||19 March 2020|
|Fluorite||2||2||Quest||A Bright Fluorite Fright quest||11 June 2020|
|Sand Sculpture||2||2||Seasonal||Summer Splash||23 June 2020|
|Wind-Up||2||2||Time Travelers||A Whirl with a Wind-Up Warrior quest||25 August 2020|
|Turquoise||2||2||Quest||Turquoise Treasure Toil quest||15 September 2020|
|Vampire||2||2||Seasonal||Fall Festival||24 September 2020|
|Autumn Leaf||2||2||Seasonal||after Fall Festival||10 November 2020|
|Black Pearl||2||2||Quest||A Startling Starry Idea quest||17 November 2020|
|Stained Glass||2||2||Seasonal||Winter Wonderland||21 December 2020|
|Polka Dot||2||2||Seasonal||Spring Fling||24 March 2021|
|Mossy Stone||2||2||Quest||A Maze of Moss quest||18 May 2021|
Wacky Hatching Potions[edit | edit source]
Wacky Hatching Potions are similar to Seasonal Edition magic hatching potions in that they are available for a certain time. They change a pet's overall appearance as opposed to only changing their color or physical attributes. There are currently two kinds of wacky hatching potions, the garden potion and confection potion.
Confection potions can be obtained by finishing the Waffling with the Fool: Disaster Breakfast! quest.
|Wacky Hatching Potions||Gem Price||Sell Price||Available During/Around||Release Date||Effects|
|Garden||2||2||Around April Fools' Day||9 April 2019||Turns pets into vegetables or fruits; a re-released version of the April Fools' Day 2019 prank|
|Confection||4||2||Around April Fools' Day||7 April 2020||Turns pets into desserts|