The Custom Day Start (CDS) setting specifies the time of day when a player's day ends and the next day officially begins in Habitica. Any activity in Habitica after your CDS time triggers your cron (resets dailies, applies boss damage, checks collection quest pickups, and so on).
The purpose of having a custom day start setting is for users who typically need to have their day centered around different hours (such as someone who stays up until 2am and would want any end of day habits clicked after midnight to count for the current day).
The default CDS is midnight in your timezone (Habitica reads your time zone from your browser or mobile device). NOTE: CDS settings are all calculated forward from midnight; you cannot make your Habitica day end early. (See the examples below for the effects of setting your CDS extremely late.)
To change your CDS:
- On the Android and iOS apps, go to Menu > Settings
- On the website, go to User Icon > Settings (direct link)
Find the Custom Day Start option in the left-hand column. Select an hour to change your next cron to that hour; the confirmation message shows you when your next reset will occur.
Examples and a Warning about Late Custom Day Start Times
- If your CDS is "12:00 AM" (the default -- midnight), then "Habitica Monday" ends at midnight between "real-world Monday" and "real-world Tuesday" (i.e., your "Habitica day" is identical to the "real-world day"). This default option is good if you are normally in bed before midnight.
- If your CDS is set to "2:00 AM," then "Habitica Monday" ends at 2:00 AM on "real-world Tuesday" (i.e., until the real-world time has reached 2:00 AM, Habitica behaves as if the day is still Monday and continues to show you Dailies that are due on Mondays). This is an option that you could use if you typically go to sleep after midnight.
- If your CDS is set to "11:00 PM," then "Habitica Monday" ends at 11:00 PM on "real-world Tuesday" (i.e., until the real-world time has reached 11:00 PM on Tuesday, Habitica behaves as if the day is still Monday -- this means that for almost all of real-world Tuesday, you will still be seeing Monday's Dailies). "Habitica Tuesday" does not actually start until 11:00 PM on "real-world Tuesday." If you are considering this option, think carefully about it because it is probably not what you want. Another way to put it is that a CDS of 11:00 PM will not make your Dailies reset one hour earlier than the default midnight CDS; it will make them reset 23 hours later.
- If you really want to make your day reset earlier than midnight, a possible workaround is to set a CDS of 11:00 PM (or 10:00 PM, etc.) and set the due dates on your Dailies and To Do's a day earlier than you actually want them to be. For example, if you want to do a certain task every real-world Tuesday, you would set it to repeat every Monday in Habitica. Warning: if you use this approach and join a challenge with Dailies set to be due on certain days or To Do's with deadlines, these tasks will show up as due a day later for you than intended, and you will not be able to edit them.